Tuesday 22 November 2011

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner


I was asked the other night what music I listen to when I’m running. The answer is I don’t. For a start I don’t think I own any music with a recognisable beat that I could run to. Also, I like to maintain my situational awareness when I’m running, rather than block it out. But the main reason is that running time is my thinking time, the time when I disappear into my own scary little world for a while. Sometimes it can be extreme. In my last blog post I gave an example of a run where my thoughts led to such a shocking revelation that I literally couldn’t run for a while. Sometimes, however, it’s like luxuriating in a hot bath and just wallowing in thought, wherever it leads. This Sunday was a good example of that. 
2010 Westonbirt 10k - during my "large" phase!
My run started in the back streets and alleyways of the dull housing estate on which I live. The grey drizzle bleached the estate, leaving a blank canvas for my thoughts. Then colour started to appear. Families emerged from the centrally heated warmth of the little boxes they call home, dressed in their Sunday best for church, and I reflected on the faith that motivates them to do that every week. Sunday shoppers emerged as I passed the supermarket where you can “taste the difference”. I thought of the Sunday roasts being bought and, less generously, hangover cures for the members of the local student population who frequent that store. The student theme continued as I ran round the university campus, the keener ones shaking off their thick heads and making for the refuge of the library. I thought of the opportunity they are so fortunate to have and the possibilities their lives ahead are so full of. By way of contrast, my run took me next down the “Yellow Brick Road”, a winding downhill path that passes a former mental institution whose bright yellow façade glares starkly down at Bristol folk, tormenting us with silent screams of anguish and opportunities lost.

The cacophony of the motorway underpass briefly snapped me out of my dreaminess but I was soon back in thought as I entered Snuff Mills and Oldbury Court Estate, with its’ legions of dog walkers, duck feeders, volunteer gardeners, perambulating families and kids on bikes. I was particularly taken by one young girl in bright pink wellies, who was clearly discovering the joys of thick, gloopy mud for the first time. The path through here is part of the Frome Valley Walkway and it is such a delightful retreat from the surrounding madness of Bristol’s suburban sprawl. Likewise, Frenchay Common, which was next up, is a “proper” village green in the suburbs, with a pub, a church and a duck pond. I found time for my own private thoughts on this section of the run. I’d made a difficult decision the previous day, again related to last week’s post, and it was time now to reflect on how that decision, as hard as it was, will have positive outcomes in the future. I think this is the aspect of running I enjoy the most. The part when you’re in “the zone”. Mentally you’re firing on all cylinders, but physically you’ve completely switched off; your body is on auto-pilot and before you know it, three miles have passed. If only all the miles were like that!

The final third of the run was all about mental and physical toughness. This was my first 10-mile run in a long time and I wasn’t very well prepared. My legs and lungs were saying “no” but my mind was saying “yes”. This is often the hardness part of running; digging deep, drawing on whatever reserves you might have and finding that last bit of mental strength and sheer bloody-mindedness that drags you over the finish line.

I’m going to need to find a lot of that over the coming months. I found out on Friday that I’ve been lucky enough to secure a place in the 2012 London Marathon. 10 miles is less than half a marathon, so I’ve got a lot more thinking time ahead of me while I pound the local streets in preparation. I wonder how many times I will remind myself between now and April that it’s not “training” it’s “luxuriating in thought”!!!

No comments: