Tuesday 1 November 2011

After the Lord Mayor's Show

Look at those flares, man!
Previously in this blog I talked about the thrill of the opening night of panto - my first ever performance on stage in an acting role - and how I hoped there wouldn't be a sense of anti-climax surrounding the second and subsequent nights.

Well the fears were unfounded and the rest of the week just got better and better. I think we all got more confident as the week went on and the audiences got more responsive as a result. By the end of the week we put out a very polished show and the crowd loved it. Certainly, from my point of view, the thrill of performing didn't diminish, and the camaraderie built up in the company increased by the day. The end of show party was very "emotional" as I broke my self-imposed 5 week alcohol exile and let down what little hair I have for one final fling with my new-found friends.

Sunday was quite a sad occasion, as we took the stage down and cleared the hall of all signs that there had been a drama production taking place over the previous week. And we said our goodbyes (or as Flossie would say, our Auf Wiedersehens) and departed...

"Oooh I don't feel safe in this place..."
...and waited for the big post-show come down that everyone said would inevitably come. I was particularly wary of this, given my well documented predisposition towards depression. But I've used all the coping techniques that I've learned over the past couple of years to ward off the expected blues. I made a conscious effort to get back on my eating plan after a week of catching ready meals and pizza whenever an opportunity arose, and I've resumed running following a week where my only exercise was the Time Warp and Transylvania Mania. And, touch wood, so far I've managed to hold it together and not be overcome by a craving to put on make up, purple flares and a Viking helmet again and shout "Oh No It Isn't" to the boys and girls.

So what's next? The logical 99% of me says bank the experience and move on. Get my life back again. Focus on work and my sorely neglected studies. Spend more quality time with my girlfriend, family and friends. Kick-start the band back into life again. Do a bit more writing. But the 1% dreamer in me wants to experience the thrill again. Auditions for the next production begin on Wednesday. Which side of me will win out, the dreamer or the logical thinker? Watch this space...

Meanwhile, it's not really "After the Lord Mayor's show" - I'll be back on stage on Thursday with my Cubs, performing in the Mayor of Monmouth's 2011 Showcase Spectacular. Not quite Franky Panky, but if you're in the area, why not come along and enjoy the show?

No comments: